RCEA’s Electricity Generation Service for Humboldt County Residents
In Humboldt County, new electricity customers are automatically enrolled in RCEA’s Community Choice Energy program for their electricity generation service.
PG&E continues to maintain the poles and lines, remedies power outages, and provides a single consolidated bill. The only difference you’ll notice might be a slight decrease in your electricity bill. RCEA’s charge IS NOT an extra charge on your bill, it is for the electricity you use to power your home. Because RCEA is a local public agency, more of your energy dollars flow back in to the local economy through rebates and other services to Humboldt County customers.
PG&E collects payment for RCEA electric service
Click the tabs below for service details and options.
There are two separate components to your PG&E bill, they are not duplicate charges. If you opt out of RCEA as your electricity provider, then PG&E will be providing both your electricity and delivery.
RCEA’s electricity “GENERATION” charges
PG&E’s charges for “DELIVERY” of the electricity
Below is a Time-of-Use sample bill, which most Community Choice Energy customers now receive.
“UNDERSTANDING YOUR BILL” describes all the different elements on each page of your PG&E bill. Be sure to scroll down to the end where you can “do the math” and calculate the actual cost for RCEA’s electricity, which is a little bit less than what PG&E would have charged you.
Examples of bills with different rate schedules:
- Residential Time-of-Use (above)
- Electric Vehicle Customer “EVA” Example Bill
- Residential Customer “E1” Example Bill
- Commercial Customer “A1” Example Bill
- NEM Example Bill
We understand that even small changes can be confusing. Please call or stop by if you have any questions. We’d be happy to walk you through your bill so you understand the benefits and your choices.
Rates for the Community Choice Energy program are set by the Board of Directors at regularly scheduled meetings that are open to the public.
RCEA’s Community Choice Energy program brings you cleaner, lower cost electricity on one consolidated bill. The charges you see on your PG&E bill are split into two categories:
- Electric Delivery Rates—PG&E delivery rates are identical for all customers, whether or not they’re enrolled in CCE.
- Electricity Generation Rates—Generation rates vary slightly, depending on which CCE service level you choose. Our standard REpower product costs slightly less than PG&E’s electricity, and it’s higher in renewables. Our premium REpower+ product costs slightly more.
REpower is our standard electricity service level. All eligible Humboldt County customers are automatically enrolled at this level of service.
REpower+ is our premium product, perfect for those who want to reduce their carbon footprints more dramatically. You can Opt Up to REpower+ at any time; just scroll to the options below or call us at 1 (800) 931-7232. REpower+ service is:
- 100% renewable and carbon-free
- Costs just $0.01 per kWh more than the standard REpower rate (usually about $5 per month for an average family who uses 500 kWh)
RCEA’s Community Choice Energy program rates replace PG&E’s rates for electricity generation on your bill, so there’s an extra page in your bill that details our generation rates.
As prioritized by our Board of Directors, the fees that PG&E charges CCE customers are accounted for when RCEA sets rates to be lower than PG&E.
Joint Rate Comparisons
- RCEA and PG&E’s list comparing typical electric rates, average monthly charges and generation portfolio contents, including explanations, on PG&E’s website.
- RCEA & PG&E’s 2022 Rate and Power Mix comparison postcard mailer – PDF
- PG&E’s Community Choice Aggregation page: www.pge.com/cca
Rates for the Community Choice Energy program are set by the Board of Directors at regularly scheduled meetings and are open to the public. Visit our Board of Directors page for details.
Historic Residential Rates
Historic Mobile Home Park Rebundled Rates
- Mobile Home Park Rebundled Rates Template July 2023 (XLSX)
- Mobile Home Park Rebundled Rates Template January 2023 (XLSX)
- Mobile Home Park Rebundled Rates Template July 2022 (XLSX)
- Mobile Home Park Rebundled Rates Template March 2022 (XLSX)
- Mobile Home Park Rebundled Rates Template March 2021 (XLSX)
- Mobile Home Park Rebundled Rates Template January 2021 UPDATED (XLSX)
- Mobile Home Park Rebundled Rates Template January 2021 (XLSX)
- Mobile Home Park Rebundled Rates Template October 2020 (XLSX)
- Mobile Home Park Rebundled Rates Template May 2020 (XLSX)
Have More Questions?
- Visit our FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) page for additional detail.
- Visit RCEA’s CCE Terms and Conditions
- You can also go to PG&E’s FAQ page for Community Choice Energy Programs.
- ¿Qué es CCE?
When customers sign up for electricity service, they are automatically enrolled in RCEA’s electricity generation service. There are still four different options associated with RCEA’s service depending on your preference and choices you have made previously.
- Opt up to 100% Carbon-free and Renewable RePower+
- Opt out of RCEA’s generation service and return to PG&E as a “bundled” customer
- Opt down to our default service if previously enrolled in RePower+
- Opt back into RCEA’s generation service if previously opted out and have been a bundled PG&E customer.
See the options below and the associated forms. If you have questions about any of them, please give us a call and we’d be happy to discuss them with you.
Office Assistance: (707) 269-1700
Automated Assistance: (800) 931-7232
Opt up to the 100% renewable and carbon-free REpower+ rate.
If you’re ready to step up to 100% renewable and carbon-free energy and help Humboldt County be a leader in greenhouse gas reduction, you can opt up to our REpower+ service today. With REpower+, all of the power you purchase will be generated from renewable and carbon-free sources, such as wind, solar, and small hydro (see our Power Resources page for details).
REpower+ costs $0.01 more per kWh compared to our standard REpower energy mix. For an average residential household that uses 500 kWh per month, the added monthly cost is only $5.00 to have 100% renewable electricity.
Just complete this form to be upgraded to 100% renewable power, or call us at 1 800-931-7232 to access an automated phone system to opt-up, or speak with a representative.
Opt out of Community Choice Energy and return to PG&E Service.
If you wish to opt out of RCEA’s Community Choice Energy program, you can fill out this form to return to bundled PG&E service, or call us at 1 800-931-7232 to access an automated phone system to opt-out, or speak with a representative.
But remember—Community Choice is not an extra charge, it replaces what PG&E would have charged you and actually saves you a little bit of money. Plus, you’re still getting PG&E’s transmission and distribution service, which means PG&E continues to read your meter, bill you, and maintain the power lines. The only difference is that the electricity generation is being provided by RCEA so it’s more local and the revenues stay in Humboldt County. If you have questions, check our FAQ page or give us a call.
Please note: once you opt out, program rules prevent you from opting back in for a year so be sure you are making the right choice!
Opt down to the 40% renewable REpower rate.
If you previously opted up to RCEA’s RePower + 100% renewable electricity service and would like to return to our default service, please use this form.
Opting Back In
If you previously opted out of RCEA’s RePower electricity services and would like to sign up again, please use this form.