Climate and Energy Planning
RCEA’s guiding strategic document is our Comprehensive Action Plan for Energy (CAPE). This plan was adopted in 2012 and is now undergoing its first update. In June 2019 staff presented our Board with a preliminary CAPE update. We are accepting comments from the public on the Preliminary CAPE through September 20, 2019. There will be an opportunity to provide comments on a Complete Draft CAPE in October 2019.
Please email your comments to: EnergyPlan2019@RedwoodEnergy.org.
Consider commenting on these key components of the plan:
- RCEA’s mission, purpose, and vision – where should we be headed, and how do we get there?
- Regional energy planning and coordination – how can RCEA coordinate with other local stakeholders on energy planning, education, economic development, and funding to support our energy goals?
- Integrated demand side management – how can we ensure energy efficiency and match our energy loads with clean and renewable energy resources?
- Low-carbon transportation – how can we achieve a transition to clean transportation technologies and policies?
- Energy generation and utility services – what local energy resources should be developed? How should we balance energy cost with environmental quality?
Participate in These Events to Learn More
Comprehensive Action Plan for Energy Activity
Redwood Coast Energy Authority Board of Directors meeting:
- June 27 – First draft of CAPE update presented to Board
- Located at the Humboldt Bay Municipal Water District Office, 828 7thSt., Eureka. Board agenda can be found here.
Climate Action Plan Activity
- June 4 – Southern Humboldt Community Workshop
- Tuesday, 6/4 from 6:00-7:30 at Redway Elementary School, 344 Humboldt Ave., Redway.
- June 12 – McKinleyville Community Workshop
- Wednesday 6/12 from 6:00-7:30 at Azalea Hall, 1620 Pickett Rd
- June 18 – Willow Creek Community Services Workshop
- Tuesday 6/18 from 6:00-7:30 at the Willow Creek CSD Office, 135 Willow Rd.
- July 9 – Present community engagement plan to Community Advisory Committee. RCEA office, 6-7:30 pm.
- July 25 – Present community engagement plan to RCEA Board of Directors at 3:30 pm, Humboldt Bay Municipal Water District Office, 828 7th St., Eureka.
Comprehensive Action Plan for Energy Activity
- Tuesday, September 3 – Draft 1 CAPE Workshop, Orleans. 5:30-7:30 p.m. Panamnik Building, 38150 Highway 96 (refreshments and preview 5:30, presentation 6:00 p.m.)
- Thursday, September 5 – Draft 1 CAPE Workshop, 5:30-7:30 p.m. Redway Elementary School, 344 Humboldt Ave.
- Wednesday, September 25 – Offshore Wind Project Workshop, 5:30-7:30 p.m. at the Wharfinger Building, 1 Marina Way, Eureka
- Thursday, September 26 – RCEA Board of Directors meeting. 3:30 p.m. at the Humboldt Bay Municipal Water District Office, 828 7th St., Eureka
- Forests, Energy and the Environment – October – Date and time TBA
- Thursday, October 17 – Draft 2 CAPE Workshop. 5:30-7:30 p.m. at the Aquatic Center in Eureka. 921 Waterfront Drive
- Thursday, October 24 – RCEA Board of Directors meeting. 3:30 p.m. at the Humboldt Bay Municipal Water District Office, 828 7th St., Eureka
- Tuesday, October 29 – Community Advisory Committee reviews the CAPE, 6:00 p.m. at RCEA’s office, 633 3rd St. Eureka
- Thursday, November 21 – RCEA Board reviews the CAPE at 3:30 p.m. at the Humboldt Bay Municipal Water District Office, 828 7th St., Eureka
Climate Action Plan
In parallel with RCEAs’s CAPE planning, the County of Humboldt and the seven cities within its boundaries are developing a 2040 Climate Action Plan (CAP) to reduce greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions throughout the region. This multi-jurisdictional plan will explore ways to reduce emissions while empowering local businesses and improving the health of our communities. Baseline emissions levels were informed by 2015 greenhouse gas emissions inventories RCEA is completing for each jurisdiction (see below, in progress).
Together the CAP and CAPE will determine the steps necessary to achieve a resilient and decarbonized future for Humboldt County.
Visit the County’s Climate Action Plan website
Climate Action Plan Survey – Complete the survey and see the latest workshop presentations, fact sheets, and public comments as they become available.
Climate Action Plan Materials
Greenhouse Gas Emissions Inventories
- 2015 Arcata GHG Inventory
- 2015 Blue Lake GHG Inventory
- 2015 Eureka GHG Inventory
- 2015 Ferndale GHG Inventory
- 2015 Fortuna GHG Inventory
- 2015 Trinidad GHG Inventory
- 2015 Unincorporated County Inventory
- Arcata Greenhouse Gas Reduction Plan (2006)
- City of Blue Lake Climate Action Plan (2014)
- Draft Trinidad Climate Action Plan (2010)
- Hoopa Valley Housing Authority Climate Action Plan (2015)